Installing Google Tag Manager & Drift
An installation process is required to set up Conversational Marketing software as it needs to run as part of your website. Fortunately, the process can be achieved with a limited amount of technical know-how, and once complete it will also make it much easier to install other web tools such as Analytics software, and Paid Advert trackers.
Google Tag Manager
We will not go into full details about what Google Tag Manager is capable of as we only require certain functionality from it to achieve our task.
1. Visit the Google Tag Manager webpage: https://marketingplatform.google.com/about/tag-manager/
2. Click 'Start For Free'
3. Under Account Name enter the name of your business.
4 In the Container Name option, enter your website address including 'www'.
5 .Under the 'Where to Use Container' option, click Web
Install Google Tag Manager on your website
You will be presented with some code for installing Google Tag Manager similar to the example shown below. Don't be put off or scared by how complex it looks, what follows is just a simple cut & paste procedure.
As described in the screenshot above, both sections need to be copied and pasted into the respective <head> and <body> sections of your website.
If you are using a website framework such as Wordpress, Squarespace, Wix, Drupal, Joomla then this should be quite straightforward. As each framework requires a slightly different process to do this we cannot provide direct accurate instruction. However, a quick Google search will provide sufficient results and instruction to help you.
7. Use any of the following search terms in Google to find instructions for how to paste this code into the relevant Head and Body sections of your website:
'Adding custom code in [insert website framework here] '
'Code injection in [insert website framework here]'
For the website framework that you use, you are looking for any article or instruction that tells you how to paste the code into the 'Header' and 'Body' sections of your website.
If you have an IT team, or a website developer just copy & paste the code above in an email under the appropriate <head> and <body> sections and they will do the rest. For a web professional this will take 2 minutes
Setting up your Conversational Marketing software (Drift in this case)
In the following example, we are going to take a look at how to install Drift, since it is free for basic use.
If you wish to install Intercom or some other Conversational Marketing software, the process will be very similar, and instruction for how to do this will be found on their website.
1. Click on 'Create Free Account'
2. Continue through the setup procedure until you are presented with the option of how you wish to install Drift
3. On the 'Last step' of the installation procedure select, "I'll install it myself"
Setting up Drift in Google Tag Manager
Now you have the required code needed to set up Drift in your Google Tag Manager account you need to go back to Google Tag Manager to finish the installation process.
To set up Drift we need to set up something called a Tag. Tags relate to the integration of any 3rd party software that you want to use. These Tags fire at certain points as defined by you in the setup process. We will now set up a new Tag for our Drift Conversational Marketing software which will fire every time the page it is on loads, this will be triggered by a visitor landing on your website.
You will use this same process again for setting up Re-marketing Tags which are used in paid advertising. We will cover this during the Paid Advertising module.
7. Once you are logged in to your account click, Tags, and then select New.
8. Give the tag a useful name such as 'Drift' and click the large tag icon within Tag Configuration section.
10. Paste your code into the Custom HTML box.
11. Click somewhere inside the 'Triggering' section. This is where you will choose how we want to activate (or fire) the Tag.
12. Select 'All Pages'. This is to tell Google Tag Manager to activate the Drift chat-widget on every page a website visitor lands on. The Drift Tag is now set up to activate whenever any page from your website is loaded.
12. Save the Tag using the Save button in the top-right corner of your window.
13. Click 'Submit' to activate your new Drift Tag. It will then become active on your website and the Drift Conversational Marketing tool will be enabled.
14. Visit your website, you should see something similar to the example shown below.
15. You can configure the colour, style, and greeting of your pop up widget by logging back in to your Drift account.
Managing Conversations On The Move
You can manage conversations through the Drift website by logging in to your account. However, if you want you can also manage conversations on your mobile devices. To do this you simply need to download the relevant application on your mobile device and log in to your account. This will work with notifications in the same way as other popular messaging services such as What's App.
Drift has applications for mobile devices on Android and iOS. Follow the links provided to visit their respective store pages.
Note: This process has only detailed how to install Drift, and not Intercom or any other Conversational Marketing Software. However, the installation procedures will apply as described above. These are:
1) Sign up to a Conversational Marketing service provider
2) Create a new Tag in Google Tag Manager based on Custom HTML
4) Set Tag to 'Fire on All Pages' in the Triggering section.
5) Save Tag and Submit / Publish